Facebook Teachers Pay Teachers Bloglovin' Pinterest Image Map

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Summer Reading

Hello, friends!

Yesterday marked 10 days left of school.  It's hard to believe that it's over.  I'm ready for summer, but as the year begins to close I really am going to miss these kiddos.  They've learned and grown so much.

Our school is very lucky to work with a company who provided every children with 15 books to take home for summer.  They got to pick out "just right" books.  They get to take these books home after their awards day  (which isn't until next week).  They can't wait.  

I have really pushed summer reading my my little monsters.  I told them that if everyone is 2nd grade turns in their reading log that I will let some of them put a pie in my face.  I've never had anything thrown in my face, but if it gets them to read over the summer then I'm all for it.  Here's to hoping that I get a face full of pie...

I'm still working on a summer reading packet, but I wanted to share part that we did today. Here's what we did today. Today we made a pledge.  I called it a "promise". We have been reading 15 minutes every night for homework all year, so they thought 15 minutes every night during the summer sounded fair.  They put their promise on the bucket and colored it.  Then, they cut out their shovel and pail.






Here are some of the finished products. :-)




Here is what they look like right now hanging out in the hallway.  I'm not done, this is just the beginning. 

Does your school do anything to promote summer reading?  I'd love to hear about it.  I hope everyone has had a fantastic week.  Friday is right around the corner!!

Lots of love,

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing gift to the children! What company donates all those books? YAY for summer being so close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PEP. I'll have to get more information about them for you.

      Delete
  2. Wow, your students are very lucky to get so many books given to them! It is a gift they will remember forever!

    Shelly
    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am! They loved it and can't wait to take them home. We truly are lucky!

      Delete
  3. Hey, Jeannie! Our schools must have the same program. I can't believe each of your kids got 15 books! Our kids were allowed to choose 8, but I am extremely thankful! Their books were also "just right", and they had SUCH nice books to choose from! Enjoy what's left of the school year! :)

    Brittani
    Miss Tinsley's Bees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brittani! It could be the same company. I bet your little ones loved getting the books, too. Enjoy what's left of the school year as well.

      Delete